Tuesday, March 1, 2011

earwax

I thought I'd join the chorus of Chicagoans eulogizing the loss of Earwax restaurant this week. It was a place I spent a lot of time at while in school, as a place to draw all afternoon and drink lime milkshakes and have rambling conversations and weird dates. I went there one more time this past weekend as they were closing, and they let me have the last extra copy of their xeroxed menu, the cover of which is adorned with doodles by Chris Ware, Dan Clowes, Archer Prewitt, and others. Adieu Earwax, Adieu lime milkshakes.

2 comments:

  1. Apparently this place is opening back up again. Michael Jordan came back from retirement, why can't the black bean burger?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were on a road trip a few years back that brought us through Chicago, and I stopped at Earwax so I could nab one of their Clowes/LaBan/Prewitt/Ware menus. Despite my offer to pay for a copy, I was told that they no longer had any available. Bastards.

    ReplyDelete