Tuesday, June 12, 2012

CAKE!

CAKE, the Chicago Alternative Comics Expo, is happening this weekend!  June 16th and 17th, 1104 S Wabash, Saturday and Sunday 11am - 6pm. Free and Open to the Public!

I will have a table there, and will also be co-presenting (as Eyeworks) a screening called Double Vision on the theme of comics and animation. Should be a great screening, here's the official info: 

1:30pm – 3:00pm, 8th Floor Auditorium

DOUBLE VISION
Comics and Animation 
with a Q and A featuring Jo Dery, Jim Trainor, Amy Lockhart, Nate Beaty and Marc Bell. 
Curated by the Eyeworks Festival of Experimental Animation. The unique kinship of Comics to Cartoons is undeniable, and yet, hard to put your finger on. Chicago’s Eyeworks Animation Festival has handpicked a screening of work focusing on this not-so-secret love affair. 

Nicolas Mahler - Mystery Music
Stefan Gruber - Both Worlds
Peter Larsson - The People and the Whale
Sally Cruikshank - Quasi at the Quackadero
Amy Lockhart - The Collagist
Jo Dery - Chapter 3
Jim Trainor - Harmony
Jesse McManus - Buoy Boy
Trixy Sweetvittles - La Mujer Lagartija
Nate Beaty - Warble and Bleat
Dash Shaw - The Unclothed Man in the 35th Century AD
David O'Reilly - Please Say Something



 I also decided to try to teach myself some pop-up techniques and make a little popup comic/zine/book thing this week in preparation for the CAKE fest. As I should have assumed, it has proven to be very time consuming, so who knows how many copies I'll have completed by this weekend... At the rate I'm going, I'm guessing no more than 3. Anyhow, here are some snaps of what some of the pages look like:




See y'all at CAKE!

8 comments:

  1. I would kill for one of those! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too, they look great. :-o I like the compositions and the black and white structures a lot. I can imagine quite well how time-consuming this is. a good friend of mine is doing a pop-up book as a graduation project and did some research about the technique. it's just crazy how much work it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic, Lilli! Are you going to sell them on your site after CAKE for those of us too far away to come?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely amazing! I can imagine the pop up technique is very time consuming. Good luck making them and with CAKE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks all! I may have some for sale post-CAKE, if I can make some that are presentable enough (not too caked in glue, etc.)... I've only made 3 so far... we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so lovely. would buy one too!

    ReplyDelete